In 1931 Father William Corcoran came to Upton. By the time Father Corcoran arrived at Upton, it was plain that the rapid development of the village, and the increase in the number of Catholics, made it necessary to start thinking about a new church.

These were difficult times with the post war depression, people had very little money to look after their own needs, never mind paying for a new church.

Father Corcoran was also saying mass at Greasby; the old temporary church used at Heswall was bought and moved to land in Greasby. Father Corcoran said the first mass in this Chapel on 5th August 1940. The first Parish Priest was appointed in March 1944. Father Corcoran left Upton in June 1944.

Father Corcoran was Replaced by Father Maurice Stone, a much younger and very determined man. It didn't take Father Stone long to decide that the Parish of St Joseph's, Upton could and would provide themselves with a church.

He looked for ways to raise money, and another garden party was planned, his vigour and enthusiasm infected the entire parish. June 30th 1945 was the great day, and no less than six months hard work was put in by the parish.

At long last the great day arrived, would it keep fine? It didn't. A steady downpour descended on the day, it rained and it rained and it rained, but the garden party was officially opened at the advertised time of 2.30 pm. Despite the weather, it was a great success and £910 was raised.

The garden party was simply the beginning, it was followed by a Ball in the Town Hall (the first of many), Jumble sales, Christmas parties, barn dances - the list goes on.

Not only did the structure of the church have to paid for, but all the furnishings, vestments, statues, candlesticks, a Sacred Heart altar to match the existing lady altar and of course a high altar.

As the new church fund mounted, Father Stone engaged the architect Adrian Gilbert Scott, whose brother designed the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool.

A pleasant site just opposite to the convent on Moreton Road was chosen for the new church.

In the summer of 1947, St Joseph's became a Junior School, no longer an all-age mixed, and places were found for the children over 11 years of age in neighbouring Catholic Secondary Schools. In 1950 the school was granted Aided Status.

At the full inspection in 1952 the overcrowding was so bad that the Inspector suggested that all non-Upton children should be refused admission, but the Managers rejected this as there was no Catholic School at Greasby or Heswall.