Catholics from Upton, Greasby, Moreton, Leasowe and indeed from most places on the West side of the Wirral attended mass in the Mission Chapel. As the number of Catholics increased, new parishes were started, often initially being served from Upton until a parish priest was appointed.

It appears that as early as 1874, the Reverend John O'Callaghan said mass in Hoylake for the benefit of visitors during the summer.

After 5 years, in 1877, the Reverend O'Callaghan left Upton and was replaced by the Reverend D. Harrington, who only remained a few months until the Reverend Charles Coelenbier replaced him in 1878.

The Reverend Coelenbier arranged to use a room in a house in Hoylake so that Sunday mass could be celebrated all year. After morning mass at Upton, the good Father rode his black horse to Hoylake each week.

Father Coelenbier left Upton in 1882 to be replaced by Father A P O'Reilly

Father O'Reilly only remained for 2 years, and in 1885 a priest who has been described as 'the most remarkable of Upton priests' arrived. Father (later Canon) Wilfrid Dallow arrived in Upton in July 1885. In 1892 Our Lady's took over the responsibility of saying masses in Hoylake.

In 1878 the primary school had 25 girls and 12 infants on its roll. At this time, teachers were paid £40 per year, Assistants £20 and Monitors £6. The FCJ Head's salary was returned to the school as a donation. The only teacher in the school from 1877 to 1884 was 'Miss Ryan' (Mother Mary), she was later joined by 'Miss Kennedy' (Mother Winifred Kennedy).